Research and Suits

This is my last week before reading week.

This week we were mixed so that we started in the print room first, then went into the machine room after lunch.

Textiles 

In the print room, we started to look at our own research and try to create motifs and colour palettes for our own prints. I didn’t actually have any research because I hadn’t actually worked out what the theme of mine was yet. However, I started to look into construction, mainly fashion construction, but I couldn’t really make that into a pattern. I looked at the overall theme of construction and came onto building construction and architecture. I thought that was a good idea, i just had to decide to think of a era that I wanted to look into. After looking through a lot of books, I decided that tudor town houses would be a good idea because they fit well with the drawing that I did earlier on in my sketchbook. I also thought it would be easy for primary research because we have many of them in and around Colchester.

search.jpg

This was the picture that I picked to find a colour palette. As the main colours would be black and white I wanted somewhere to get accent colours and I thought these flowers would be perfect.

Fashion 

In the machine room, we were deconstructing a man’s suit and looking at the construction of it. It was mainly the collar and the lapel of the jacket.

We started with a piece of wool and a piece of canvas. We had to measure 3cm from the curved edge. We then had to sew more lines after that. We measured the middle of the piece then drew a zigzag pattern from on corner to the other and sewed it.

IMG_1660 IMG_1661

After that we did some hand sewing. We started with a running stitch that was also 3cm from the curved edge. After that we did some diagonal stitches. We did some one way, then some the other way so that they created a point.

IMG_1664

After all the collar work, we moved onto pockets. I started with a jetted pocket.

IMG_1665  IMG_1666 IMG_1667

We started out by drawing a rectangle on a piece of calico, from that we drew a line half way in the middle with triangles a cm from the end.

IMG_1673

After that we sewed round the outer rectangle and cut the middle and triangle lines, being careful not the cut the stitched that were just done.

IMG_1674

We turned it inside out so it looks like a postbox.

IMG_1668

With the back piece, we folded the down the top and bottom flaps so that you can see them through the little window. Iron all that down so that it lays flat. Fold the top layer back so that you can see the triangles from earlier and sew them to the back layers.

IMG_1671

We got another piece of calico and pinned it to the back panel and sewed it in a rectangle to create the pocket.

IMG_1670

That was the first pocket finished!

The second pocket that we had a go at was a Welt pocket. The first part of the construction was very similar to the jetted pocket, just instead of folding down the two back pockets, you jut fold down the one to create one big patch.

IMG_1675

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s